PETALING JAYA (The Star/Asia News Network) - Malaysia Airlines System (MAS) reiterates that its priority is to ensure that the next of kin of passengers on board the ill-fated MH17 and MH370 are properly compensated.
In a statement Friday, MAS administrator Datuk Mohammad Faiz Azmi, while paying tribute to the memory of those who lost their lives in the tragedies, said MAS was committed in meeting the needs of the victims' relatives.
"In the intervening two years since the MH17 tragedy, MAS has been committed to meeting the varying needs and expectations and seeing to the welfare of the next of kin.
"We wish to reiterate our continuing support and assistance to the families of those on board MH17," he said.
Mohammad Faiz said the next of kin who claimed compensation have either had their claims settled or are in the process of being settled, or have otherwise filed court claims in various jurisdictions.
"It is the priority of MAS that all next of kin of MH17 and MH370 are fully compensated in accordance with the principles set out under applicable International Conventions and local laws," he said.
He added that the MAS Family Support Centre would continue to provide information and support needed by the next of kin.
Mohammad Faiz also said the airline had set up the Post Accident Office (PAO) which keeps track and reports all matters associated to MH17 and MH370.
"The PAO oversees and coordinates claims and compensation requested by next of kin.
"They act as the focal point of contact for government agencies, authorities and third parties connected to the incidents," he said.
The Beijing-bound Boeing 777 with 239 people on board disappeared an hour after departure from Kuala Lumpur on March 8, 2014.
Earlier on Friday, it was announced that the search for the missing aircraft has been suspended.
On July 17, 2014, MH17 was shot down over territory held by pro-Russia rebels, killing all 298 people on board.
As of July 19 this year, at least 43 families have yet to reach a settlement with MAS over the incident.