KUALA LUMPUR (REUTERS, THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - A Malaysian anti-graft body has summoned ex-premier Najib Razak to give a statement about an investigation involving a former unit of state fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), two sources at the body told Reuters.
A member of a panel which reviewed the case files of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has said it found evidence that about US$10.6 million (S$14.3 million) was transferred from state fund unit SRC International to an account belonging to Najib.
A Reuters witness saw commission officials arrive at Najib's residence in the capital, Kuala Lumpur, on Friday.
"They are there to serve notice (to Najib) to attend MACC on Tuesday next week to record a statement related to SRC," one of the sources said. Another MACC source confirmed the matter.
A spokesman for Najib could not be immediately reached by Reuters for comment.
The Star newspaper reported the same, citing its sources.
Najib and his wife have been blacklisted by the Immigration Department and they are prohibited from leaving the country.
Last week, Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said he expected charges to be filed against Najib following investigations into allegations against the former prime minister over the removal of hundreds of millions of dollars from the 1MDB fund.