MALACCA - Police are investigating a warning circulating on social media of a possible Islamic State (ISIS) attack on tourist areas in Malacca, the New Straits Times reported.
The bilingual message in Mandarin and English, which is widely circulated on WhatsApp and Facebook, says the city's famous Jonker Street, Stadthuys, and several entertainment outlets are among the targets, reported the daily on Tuesday (July 12).
A cafe owner who received the message on WhatsApp had filed a report with Malacca police, it added, citing Melaka Tengah police chief Shaikh Abdul Adzis Shaikh Abdullah.
He said police were investigating the authenticity of the alert while keeping guard at the supposed target areas.
"So far, we have only received one report at the Tengkera police station from a cafe owner who had received a similar message via WhatsApp," the official was quoted by NST as saying.
"I urge the public not to disseminate the message as the situation is under control," he said, advising businesses to operate as usual.
State Criminal Investigation Department chief Kamaluddin Kassim said the case was being investigated under Section 505(b) of the Penal Code for causing fear or alarm to the public.