Kim Jong Nam murder trial: Suspect rushed to restroom after attack

Vietnamese suspect Doan Thi Huong being escorted out of the Malaysia Chemistry Department in Petaling Jaya on Oct 9, 2017. PHOTO: EPA-EFE

KUALA LUMPUR - One of the two women accused of killing Kim Jong Nam by allegedly smearing nerve agent VX on his face was caught on camera rushing to the bathroom after he was attacked, his murder trial heard on Wednesday (Oct 11).

Investigating officer Wan Azirul Nizam Che Wan Aziz testified that closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage showed Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong rushing to the toilet looking panicked, with her hands held away from her body. He said when she emerged from the restroom, she looked more relaxed.

When asked if she could have reached the toilet within two to three minutes if she walked leisurely, he said no.

Doan was then seen heading towards the airport's taxi stand.

Doan, 28, and Indonesian Siti Aisyah, 25 allegedly attacked Mr Kim in the departure hall of Kuala Lumpur International Airport's budget terminal KLIA2, while he was waiting to board his flight to Macau on Feb 13.

The women have claimed that they thought they were playing a prank for a reality TV show. The Malaysian authorities however say the women knew they were applying a toxic poison.

Earlier in the trial, a government chemist had testified that VX could be safely removed by washing and scrubbing with water within 15 minutes of contact.

Mr Wan Azirul also told the court on Wednesday that Siti Aisyah met an unidentified man at a restaurant in KLIA2 less than an hour before Mr Kim was attacked.

In closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage played in court, Siti Aisyah was seen chatting with a man wearing a black hat and spectacles at Bibik Heritage restaurant at 8.14am, before he handed her a taxi coupon. After the attack, she was caught on camera rushing to a taxi stand looking panicked before getting in a taxi.

According to a post-mortem report submitted to court, traces of the deadly VX nerve agent were found in Mr Kim's eyes, urine and blood, and also on his shirt and bag.

The prosecution said the nerve agent, which the United Nations has classified as a weapon of mass destruction, caused the death of the 45-year-old North Korean.

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.