KUALA LUMPUR - Wanted Malaysian businessman Low Taek Jho, is believed to be in China after fleeing Macau, said a media report.
Sources told the South China Morning Post that Low, who has arrest warrants issued against him to assist in the probe of state fund 1MDB , is now on the mainland after travelling from Macau by car or private jet.
The exact whereabouts of the 37-year-old Low, better known as Jho Low, is not known, said the Post, which had earlier reported he was "hiding in plain sight" with his entourage in Hong Kong by occupying multiple rooms at the Pacific Place Apartments for months. He is believed to have recently left Hong Kong for Macau.
A security source in Macau told the Post: “It is almost without doubt safe to say that Low is now on the mainland. In fact, that is probably one of the reasons he came to Macau in the first place.’’
Meanwhile Malaysian police said they received an e-mail from Macau authorities on July 9, informing them that Low had left the Chinese territory.
"The e-mail did not specify when Low left Macau. It is hard to trace him as he is believed to be using multiple passports," national police chief Mohamad Fuzi Harun told a press conference on Wednesday (July 11).
A day earlier, he said Malaysian police have sent an official request to their counterparts in Macau for a team to be sent in to arrest Low. Macau does not have any extradition treaty with other countries.
Police issued an Interpol Red Notice on Low in June and a team was sent to Hong Kong to track him down.
"By the time the team arrived in Hong Kong, he had already fled to Macau," said Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi.
He said the latest development will complicate police investigation into the troubled state fund 1MDB.