Husband of woman killed in Penang shooting breaks down at wake

GEORGE TOWN (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - It was a heart-wrenching sight when Mr Siak Kum Guan, who lost his wife in a gangland-style murder, broke down in tears at the wake.

The 51-year-old looked distraught and tears flowed down his cheeks as he looked at his wife Ruby Lee Poh Ai's coffin at the Batu Gantung funeral parlour.

Family members tried to console him but the pain of his loss was too much for Mr Siak, who was seen wiping his tears away on the sleeve of his T-shirt.

Ms Lee, 49, was gunned down shortly after she left her freight forwarding office in Lebuh Pekaka 1, Sungai Dua, in her new white BMW on Tuesday (Feb 21).

Two men drew up on a motorcycle and the pillion fired at least 10 shots at her.


Reporters attended the wake on Thursday (Feb 23) after a message circulated on WhatsApp that Mr Siak would hold a press conference to clear the air on his wife's murder.

The message turned out to be false and he seemed oblivious to the presence of journalists.

After hugging his family members, he spent about 40 minutes chatting with friends. Then he left in a metallic dark grey Mercedes Benz.

A relative at the wake said the family would not respond to rumours or speculation on the incident.

"There is no need to clarify anything as long as we know the truth. There is no need to explain too much to the public," he said.

Another relative said the family was hurt by rumours on social media that Lee was pregnant when she died.

Penang police chief Commissioner Datuk Wira Chuah Ghee Lye said the gunmen were dark skinned but police could not identify their race.

He said investigators were still studying footage from CCTV cameras near Ms Lee's office and at the crime scene.

"We've been searching for clues the past week. Hopefully the images will lead us to something," he added.

Penang CID chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Zainol Samah said Ms Lee was hit by six bullets on the chest and face, and police had recovered 10 casings at the scene.

He said the investigating officer and his team went back there to look for more clues on Wednesday.

On two photographs that went viral on social media, supposedly of another fatal shooting that happened in the area, SAC Zainol told the public not to spread rumours.

"The photographs are of the incident on Tuesday. Don't speculate, let the police investigate," he said.