PETALING JAYA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Former Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Mohamad's blog, chedet.cc, was suspended by its administrator due to high traffic volume, said his aide Sufi Yusof.
The aide to the former prime minister said the measure had to be taken as the "website was crashing" due to massive traffic.
"The blog was not blocked by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission. Due to the heavy traffic, we had to suspend the blog.
"The administrator is doing remedial work as we speak," he told The Star Online.
The blog is now accessible intermittently, reported the Malaysian Insider, three hours after it became inaccessible after 4pm on Friday with the message "Account Suspended".
The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission has clarified it had nothing to do with the site being blocked.
"As far as I know, we had nothing to do with this. I suggest you check with the blog owner as to why the website is down," MCMC strategic communications senior director Sheikh Raffie Abd Rahman said.
Tun Mahathir's latest posting was on the debt-laden government investment vehicle 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), in which he called for a police investigation into allegations over the fund: "An audit of its financials by the Auditor-General as ordered by Putrajaya earlier this week is not enough to uncover the truth behind the debt-ridden state investment vehicle.
"What is needed is more than the normal audit of the account books. What is needed is a forensic investigation by the police on the accusations made against several people who are involved in managing 1MDB's finances."