KUALA LUMPUR - One foreign worker was killed and two others are in critical condition after an old bomb from World War II exploded at an MRT construction site in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur, media reports said on Wednesday (Oct 11).
Kuala Lumpur police chief Amar Singh confirmed the cause of the accident at the Bandar Malaysia construction site on Tuesday, but did not elaborate on the type of bomb, The Star reported.
"It exploded suddenly while construction work was being done," he said.
In a statement, the MRT’s main contractor MMC-Gamuda said one of the workers had died from his injuries. The two others were still in critical condition.
“We regret to inform that of the three injured, one succumbed to the injuries and passed away last night. Two others are critical,” the company said, according to the Malaysian Insight news website.
Reports had earlier said that two of the construction workers lost their legs, while another suffered injuries to his hands and legs. The identity of the worker who died, however, was not clear.
Police are continuing their investigations into the accident.