Philippines takes ‘strong exception’ to China embassy comment on job losses
Sign up now: Get insights on Asia's fast-moving developments
The Chinese embassy warned that any serious damage to bilateral ties would “cost millions of jobs”.
PHOTO: AFP
MANILA - The Philippines takes “strong exception” to a statement by the Chinese Embassy in Manila that the simmering diplomatic spat
The Philippines and China have had repeated maritime confrontations in the contested South China Sea,
Some senators have said China’s ambassador should be recalled, remarks that prompted the embassy to warn last week that any serious damage to bilateral ties would “cost millions of jobs”.
“We take strong exception to the embassy’s tone, which appears to imply that such cooperation could be withheld as a form of leverage or retaliation,” the Department of Foreign Affairs said in a statement issued late on Feb 16.
“In the current atmosphere, this framing risks being perceived as coercive and undermines constructive bilateral dialogue,” it added, and called on Chinese diplomats to “adopt a responsible and measured tone in public exchanges”.
The Chinese Embassy did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Feb 17 is a holiday in China and the Philippines for the Chinese New Year.
The Philippines has accused China of aggressive actions inside its exclusive economic zones in the South China Sea, including dangerous manoeuvres, water cannoning, and disrupting resupply missions.
China, in turn, has accused the Philippines of intruding into what it claims as its territory. REUTERS


