India delays US trade talks after Supreme Court rejects Trump tariffs, source says

Sign up now: Get insights on Asia's fast-moving developments

An attendee holds U.S. and India's flags as they gather on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, U.S., June 22, 2023. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo

India’s delegation had been set to leave on Feb 22 for talks in the US to finalise an interim trade deal after both countries agreed on a tariff framework.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge

NEW DELHI – India has delayed plans to send a trade delegation to Washington this week, chiefly because of uncertainty after the

US Supreme Court struck down tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump

, a source in its Trade Ministry said on Feb 22.

One of the first concrete reactions among Asian nations to the decision, it follows Mr Trump’s move on Feb 21 to levy a temporary tariff of 15 per cent, the maximum allowed by law, on US imports from all countries after the court’s rejection.

“The decision to defer the visit was taken after discussions between officials of the two countries,” said the source, who sought anonymity as the matter is a sensitive one. “No new date for the visit has been decided.”

The delay came mainly from the uncertainty over tariffs following the judgment on Feb 20, the source added.

The delegation had been set to leave on Feb 22 for talks to finalise an interim trade deal after both countries agreed on a framework for Washington to cut punitive tariffs of 25 per cent on some Indian exports linked to New Delhi’s Russian oil purchases.

US tariffs on Indian goods were set to be cut to 18 per cent, while India agreed to buy US items worth US$500 billion (S$633.3 billion) over five years, ranging from energy supplies to aircraft and parts, precious metals and technology products.

India’s opposition Congress party had called for the interim pact to be put on hold, urging a renegotiation and questioning Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s decision to issue a joint statement before the court’s ruling.

On Feb 21, the Indian Trade Ministry said it was studying the implications of the judgment and later US announcements.

Trade Minister Piyush Goyal said this week that the interim pact could take effect in April after outstanding issues were resolved during the delegation’s visit to Washington. REUTERS

See more on