US arms sales to Taiwan unrelated to Iran war, source says
Sign up now: Get insights on Asia's fast-moving developments
An AIM-7 Sparrow Launcher at an annual military exercise ahead of the Lunar New Year in Chiayi, Taiwan, on Jan 28.
PHOTO: REUTERS
TAIPEI - US arms sales to Taiwan take years to process and are unrelated to the war with Iran, a source familiar with the matter said, after a senior US official suggested there was a pause due to the need to have enough arms for the Middle East conflict.
Taiwan, which China views as its own territory, has been waiting for the US to approve an arms sale that Reuters has reported could be worth up to US$14 billion (S$18 billion).
US President Donald Trump sowed uncertainty in Taipei by saying, after meeting China's President Xi Jinping earlier this month, that he was undecided on whether to approve the package.
On May 21, Acting US Navy Secretary Hung Cao told a Senate Appropriations Defense Subcommittee hearing that there was a pause on arms sales to Taiwan to make sure the US had the munitions needed for the Operation Epic Fury attack on Iran.
The source familiar with the matter noted that Mr Trump has said he would decide on the Taiwan arms sales soon.
“These sales take years to process and are unrelated to Operation Epic Fury,” the source said, referring to the war the US and Israel launched in February.
“The United States military has more than enough munitions, ammo and stockpiles to serve all of President Trump’s strategic goals and beyond.”
The US is bound by the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act to provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself, and has said since Mr Trump met Mr Xi that its policy towards Taiwan remains unchanged.
A White House official told Reuters that, as Mr Trump has said, he will make a determination in a fairly short time regarding a new Taiwan arms package, and noted the US$11 billion package already approved in December.
“In his first term, President Trump approved more arms sales to Taiwan than any other president in history,” the official added.
Taiwan’s government said on May 22 it had not received any information about US arms sales delays.
Taiwan says it faces a stepped up threat from China, whose warships and warplanes operate around the island almost daily, and needs to boost its deterrence.
On May 23, Taiwan’s National Security Council Secretary-General Joseph Wu wrote on X that China had deployed over 100 ships in recent days along the first island chain, referring to an area which stretches from Japan down through Taiwan and into the Philippines.
“In this part of the world, China is the one & only PROBLEM wrecking the status quo & threatening regional peace & stability,” he added, including a graphic on their location.
China’s defence ministry did not answer calls seeking comment.
China has repeatedly called for the US to stop arms sales.
Taiwan’s government rejects Beijing’s sovereignty claims, saying only the Taiwanese people can decide their future. REUTERS


