Trump calls Japan’s Ishiba ahead of latest tariff talks in Washington

Sign up now: Get insights on Asia's fast-moving developments

Mr Ishiba reiterated Japan’s existing stance over the levies to Mr Trump during a 45-minute call.

Mr Ishiba reiterated Japan’s existing stance over the levies to Mr Trump during a 45-minute call.

PHOTO: AFP

Google Preferred Source badge

US President Donald Trump initiated a phone call with Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba and discussed tariffs in general terms, just as Tokyo’s top negotiator left for the US for another round of trade talks. 

Mr Trump did not say anything specific about tariffs while Mr Ishiba reiterated Japan’s existing stance over the levies during a 45-minute meeting, the Prime Minister told reporters on May 23 in Tokyo.

The two agreed they were looking forward to meeting in person at a Group of Seven leaders’ gathering in June in Canada, Mr Ishiba said. 

The phone call between the two leaders was the first since early April, when

the US ramped up its tariffs against nations

around the world, including Japan.

The call signalled the Asian nation still has the attention of Mr Trump, although it appears to be falling behind other countries in striking a trade deal. 

“We have consistently requested the removal of tariff measures, and our position remains unchanged,” Mr Ishiba said. “The President has made no specific mention of this matter.”

He and Mr Trump discussed a wide range of topics, including tariff negotiations, economic security cooperation, diplomacy and national security, with the President also explaining the results of his recent Middle East visit, Mr Ishiba said.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request placed late on May 22 seeking details of the call.

“In terms of why the meeting took place now, I can’t simply ask Trump why,” Mr Ishiba said.

“He visited the Middle East and I think we have reaffirmed our commitment to continue cooperating between Japan and the US, including on economic security issues.” 

During the call, Mr Ishiba said he conveyed his hope that an upcoming meeting between his hand-picked top trade negotiator Ryosei Akazawa and his US counterparts will be constructive. Mr Akazawa left for the US on May 23 for a third round of trade talks.  

Local media reports say Mr Akazawa is expected to meet US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, while Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is set to skip the gathering.

Mr Akazawa plans to return to Washington again on May 30 to meet Mr Bessent, according to a Yomiuri newspaper report. 

The likelihood of another visit in a week’s time suggests that the latest round of talks is unlikely to deliver a deal. 

As with other nations, Mr Trump has slapped Japan with a 25 per cent levy on autos, steel and aluminium and a 10 per cent across-the-board tariff.

The so-called reciprocal tariff is set to be raised to 24 per cent in early July, barring a trade deal. 

Cars and auto parts comprise around a third of all exports to the US from Japan. The auto industry is a key driver of growth for Japan’s economy and employs around 8 per cent of the workforce.

Mr Ishiba said earlier that Japan will not compromise its national interests by rushing into a deal or striking an agreement that does not address the car levy. 

“We should focus on investment rather than tariffs, and our stance remains unchanged that Japan and the US will continue to create jobs in the US,” Mr Ishiba said on May 23. BLOOMBERG

See more on