Trump call with Taiwan’s Lai not yet planned, sources say

Sign up now: Get insights on Asia's fast-moving developments

FILE PHOTO: Taiwan President Lai Ching-te speaks at a news conference on the second anniversary of his taking office, at the presidential building in Taipei, Taiwan May 20, 2026. REUTERS/Ann Wang/File Photo

US President Donald Trump has suggested he might speak soon with Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te. A call between the two leaders would be unprecedented and risks roiling Washington’s ties with China.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge
  • US and Taiwan lack concrete plans for a presidential call Trump suggested about the island's defences, risking US-China ties. The call would be unprecedented since 1979.
  • Beijing warned a call harms US-China relations; Taiwan's President Lai would state China has no right to "annex" the island.
  • Trump created uncertainty over a US$14 billion Taiwan arms sale, despite US law mandating defensive aid. China deployed vessels as a warning.

AI generated

WASHINGTON/TAIPEI - The US and Taiwan have not yet made concrete plans for talks between their presidents, four people familiar with the matter said, despite US President Donald Trump’s suggestion he might speak soon with Taiwanese President Lai Ching-te about the island’s defences.

A call between the two leaders would be unprecedented and risks roiling Washington’s ties with Beijing, which views democratically governed Taiwan as its own territory.

US and Taiwanese presidents have not spoken directly since Washington shifted diplomatic recognition to Beijing from Taipei in 1979.

Mr Trump said again on May 20 he would speak with Mr Lai, dispelling initial speculation that his first mention of it after meeting Chinese President Xi Jinping last week was a verbal slip.

Mr Trump’s initial comments about the call sparked surprise among officials in Washington and Taipei, according to two of the people familiar with the matter.

In the days since, officials from the US and Taiwan have been in touch about the prospect of a call, according to one of the people familiar with the matter, but all four sources said no concrete plans have yet been put in place.

The White House declined to comment.

A spokesperson for China’s embassy in Washington said the US needs to honour its commitments and exercise caution on Taiwan, adding that it should “stop sending any wrong message to ‘Taiwan independence’ separatist forces.”

“China’s opposition to any official exchanges between the US and China’s Taiwan region, and the US’ arms sales to Taiwan is consistent, clear and rock-firm,” the spokesperson said.

Beijing has privately warned Washington that such a call could damage their ties and unwind progress between the countries at the state visit, according to two of the people briefed on the messages.

Taiwan’s presidential office referred Reuters to comments Mr Lai made on May 20.

He said that, if he got the opportunity to speak to Mr Trump, he would say China was undermining peace and nobody has the right to “annex” the island.

Mr Lai did not say whether any call had been set up.

Taiwan a major focus of Xi talks

Mr Xi pressed Mr Trump on Taiwan policy during a two-day state visit last week, warning him that mishandling the countries’ disagreements over the issue could imperil China-US relations.

Following those meetings, Mr Trump said he had not decided whether to proceed with a major weapons sale worth up to US$14 billion (S$18 billion) to Taiwan, adding to uncertainty about US support for the island.

On May 15, Mr Trump told reporters that he would speak with “the person... that’s running Taiwan” before deciding whether to approve further arms sales. Mr Trump said again on May 20 that he would speak with Mr Lai.

“I’ll speak to him; I speak to everybody,” he said. “We’ll work on that, the Taiwan problem.”

Any decision by Mr Trump to withhold arms would mark a stark shift in his approach.

Privately, US officials have told Taiwan to expect no change in policy, according to two of the sources.

Under US law, Washington is required to provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself, and both Republican and Democratic US lawmakers have urged the Trump administration to continue weapons sales.

On May 22, China deployed more than 100 naval and coast guard vessels across East Asia, a senior Taiwanese official said, citing Taiwanese intelligence.

The official warned that Beijing could use the drill as a signal to Washington not to proceed with the call.

Beijing has never renounced the use of force to take control of Taiwan, which is the US’ largest source of advanced semiconductor chips. REUTERS

See more on