Toyota halts Tianjin operations through Wednesday after explosions

Several Japanese automakers including Toyota Motor Corp. reported damage to cars and facilities after two huge explosions at the Chinese port of Tianjin tore through an industrial area where toxic chemicals and gas were stored.
Several Japanese automakers including Toyota Motor Corp. reported damage to cars and facilities after two huge explosions at the Chinese port of Tianjin tore through an industrial area where toxic chemicals and gas were stored. PHOTO: REUTERS

TOKYO (REUTERS) - Toyota Motor Corp. said on Sunday that it will not resume operations through Wednesday near the Chinese port of Tianjin, where huge explosions last week killed more than 100 people.

Wednesday's explosions came during holidays for the Japanese carmaker, so there has been no impact so far on production at its three lines near the affected area, Toyota said in a statement.

"However, due to ongoing evacuation advisories, none of the three lines at Tianjin FAW Toyota Motor Co Ltd will be (in) operation from Aug 17 through 19," Toyota said.

The company said it had no further information on damage or injuries.

It said on Friday that more than 50 of its employees were injured in the explosions.

The death toll in the port city hit 112 on Sunday with 95 people still missing, the official Xinhua news agency reported, suggesting that the toll could rise significantly.

Tianjin is the gateway to northeast China, through which about 40 per cent of China's imported cars enter the country.