South Korean CEO arrested over fatal battery factory fire that killed 23

Sign up now: Get insights on Asia's fast-moving developments

S-Connect Chairman and CEO Park Soon-kwan (right) previously said that the company had followed all required safety precautions and training for staff.

S-Connect chairman and chief executive Park Soon-kwan (right) was arrested for the fire that killed 23 people in June.

PHOTO: EPA-EFE

The chief executive of a South Korean lithium battery maker, where a fire in June killed 23 people, has been arrested after a court approved a warrant on allegations of violating industrial safety law, a judge said on Aug 28.

Park Soon-kwan, CEO of Aricell – a company majority owned by S-Connect – apologised after the fire but said at the time that the company had followed all required safety precautions and training for staff.

The Suwon District Court, which has jurisdiction for the city of Hwaseong where the factory is located, approved the warrant for Park’s detention late on Aug 28 due to the gravity of the allegations against him, a public affairs judge said by telephone.

The court also approved a detention warrant for Park’s son, who is an executive at the company, the judge said.

Court officials could not be reached for confirmation early on Aug 29. Park’s lawyer could not be immediately reached for comment.

Entering the court for a hearing on Aug 28, TV footage shows Park not answering reporters’ questions about the charges against him, but he did say: “I’m sorry.”

The authorities investigating the fire released a report on Aug 23 saying a rush to meet a supply deadline and a lack of action to address signs of dangerous quality defects in batteries that had been produced led to the fire.

Hiring temporary workers who did not receive proper safety and emergency escape training to make up for a backlog of production contributed to the large number of casualties, the police and Labour Ministry officials said. REUTERS

See more on