Malaysians, Indonesians injured in Christchurch shootings

Video screengrab showing ambulances along a street after shootings at at least two mosques in central Christchurch, New Zealand, on March 15, 2019. PHOTO: REUTERS

KUALA LUMPUR (REUTERS, THE STAR AND THE JAKARTA POST/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Two Malaysians and two Indonesians were among those wounded during shootings at two mosques in the city of Christchurch on Friday (March 15).

"As of 3pm (Malaysian time), no Malaysians are reported to be among the fatalities. However, two Malaysians are injured in the incident and being treated," Malaysia's foreign ministry said in a statement.

"Malaysia condemns in the strongest term, this senseless act of terror on innocent civilians and hopes that those responsible for this barbaric crime be brought to justice. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and families of today's shooting incident. The High Commission of Malaysia in Wellington is in contact with Malaysians in Christchurch and is monitoring the situation closely."

English daily New Straits Times identified one of the injured as Mr Mohd Tarmizi Shuib, who was working as a flight simulator operator.

Indonesia's foreign ministry said an Indonesian citizen and his son were injured in one of the church attacks.

"The father is being taken care of at the intensive care unit and the son is in the general ward at the Christchurch Public Hospital," ministry spokesman Arrmanatha Nasir said in Jakarta.

The Indonesian Embassy in Wellington told The Jakarta Post that they received information that the two were shot by a gunman at the Linwood mosque.

As many as 330 Indonesians live in Christchurch, 134 of whom are students, according to ministry data.

Meanwhile, the New Zealand Herald said that the fate of one Malaysian, who was at the attacked Al Noor Mosque on Deans Avenue for Friday prayers at the time of the mass shooting, is still unknown.

No one has been able to reach Mr Rahimi Ahmad, 39, it reported in its online edition.

His wife Azila, who has been anxiously waiting for him, said no one knew what had happened to Rahimi.

"I just want to know he's safe, and I'm praying and hoping that he will call," the portal quoted her as saying.

The High Commission of Malaysia in Wellington urged Malaysians living in Christchurch to contact their families and friends.

"Dear Malaysians residing in New Zealand in particular in Christchurch, please check with your families and friends if anyone has been injured or affected by the reported shootings at the mosque," the mission posted on its Facebook page.

"Please contact the High Commission at +64-210440188 or +64220662118 or email us at

"Please share this around, stay indoors and follow the instruction from the authorities."

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.