Australian PM Albanese to meet Biden in US after India trip

Sign up now: Get insights on Asia's fast-moving developments

Mr Anthony Albanese is expected to sign a long-awaited pact to build a fleet of nuclear submarines during his US visit next week.

Mr Anthony Albanese is expected to sign a long-awaited pact to build a fleet of nuclear submarines during his US visit next week.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Google Preferred Source badge

SYDNEY – Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said on Wednesday that he will visit the United States for a bilateral meeting with US President Joe Biden

after his trip to India this week.

Mr Albanese would not be drawn on expectations of a trilateral summit next week with Mr Biden and British Prime Minster Rishi Sunak to announce a way forward on Aukus, a major project to provide Australia with nuclear-powered submarines and other high-tech weapons.

“I look forward to the continuing engagement that I have with the US administration,” he told reporters before leaving for India, without giving a date for the American trip.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported on Tuesday that Mr Albanese would meet with Mr Biden and Mr Sunak in San Diego on Monday to unveil new details of the 2021 Aukus pact, which was conceived as part of efforts to counter China in the Indo-Pacific region.

Australia’s ambassador to the US Arthur Sinodinos said last week that details of the submarine deal would be announced in mid-March, but the three governments have declined comment on the specific time and place.

San Diego is home to the US Pacific Fleet, and a source familiar with the planning told Reuters the trilateral summit could involve a visit to a submarine.

While the US and Britain have agreed to provide Australia with the technology to deploy nuclear-powered submarines, the three allies have yet to say exactly how the capability will be transferred to Australia, which does not have a nuclear-propulsion industry.

Aukus will be Australia’s biggest-ever defence project and offers the prospect of jobs in all three countries, but it remains unclear whether it will involve a US or a British-designed submarine, or a combination of both, or when the vessels will become operational.

Australian defence industry speculation has centred on Australia opting for a British design, while Mr Sinodinos said there would be a “genuine trilateral solution”.

Technology transfer curbs

Despite an 18-month consultation period since Aukus was first announced, questions remain over strict US curbs on technology sharing needed for the project.

These are a particular concern for its so-called pillar two, dealing with advanced technology programmes such as artificial intelligence and hypersonic weapons.

British and Australian officials said last week work was still needed to break down bureaucratic barriers to technology sharing in pillar two and the top Pentagon official for Asia, Dr Ely Ratner, referred to “antiquated systems” governing US technology.

Dr Ratner said these needed to be revised “and we’re in the process of doing so”.

A State Department spokesman said Washington was “actively working to re-examine and streamline our processes to optimise our defence trade in the Aukus context,” and added: “We do not anticipate any challenges in implementing Aukus due to US export-control regulations.”

However, despite political will for reform in the Biden administration, experts question how easy it will for Aukus to avoid the attentions of mid-level State Department bureaucrats duty bound to protect US defence technology.

Mr Ashley Townshend, an Australian Defence expert at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace think tank, said a new information-sharing agreement would be needed for the submarine programme’s implementation stage.

I have no doubt that this will happen,” he said.

“But unless the agreement covers every single technology and defence service that the submarine programme will involve, over the course of its lifetime, it won’t be immune to bureaucratic and regulatory constraints.”

Some experts believe the Aukus announcement could include plans to station US and British nuclear submarines in Australia to train Australian crews and fill a capability gap until the new Australia submarines are in service, which is not expected until about 2040.

Mr Albanese will reach India later on Wednesday and will stay until Saturday in the first visit by an Australian prime minister since 2017. REUTERS

See more on