Accused Christchurch mosque attacker who live-streamed killing spree changes plea to guilty

A police officer stands guard outside the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch on March 13, 2020.
A police officer stands guard outside the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch on March 13, 2020.PHOTO: AFP

WELLINGTON (REUTERS) - The Australian man accused of killing 51 worshippers at two mosques in New Zealand in March last year entered a surprise guilty plea in court in Christchurch on Thursday (March 26), and admitted to 51 charges of murder, local media reported.

Brenton Tarrant, who appeared by video link, entered his guilty pleas at a special, hastily arranged High Court hearing in Christchurch on Thursday morning, state broadcaster TVNZ reported.

He also pleaded guilty to 40 charges of attempted murder and a terrorism charge, TVNZ said.

"He has been convicted of each and every one of those charges," presiding judge Justice Cameron Mander said in minutes of the hearing released by the court.

"The entry of guilty pleas represents a very significant step towards bringing finality to this criminal proceeding," Justice Mander said.

Tarrant has been in police custody since March 15, 2019, when he was arrested and accused of using semi-automatic weapons to target Muslims attending Friday prayers at two mosques in Christchurch.

The attack was streamed live on Facebook.

Tarrant, a 29-year-old Australian, had previously pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Justice Mander said there was now no need for the six week trial that was previously due to begin on June 2.

The court will now sentence Tarrant on all 92 charges, but did not provide a date for that sentencing.

Tarrant was remanded in custody until May 1.

Due to a nationwide lockdown in place for the coronavirus outbreak, Thursday’s court hearing took place with minimal staff, lawyers and media present.

 
 
 

An Imam for each of the two mosques attacked were also allowed to attend the hearing.

New Zealand announced a nationwide lockdown starting on Thursday, to combat the spread of coronavirus.

The court placed a one-hour embargo on reporting the news in order to inform family members and victims about what had taken place before it was made public.

 Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, who has stuck by a pledge to not name the gunman in public, said she let out "a massive sigh of relief" when she heard of the guilty pleas. 

"The whole nation, but particularly the Muslim community, has been spared a trial that could have acted as a platform," Ms Ardern said. 

Mr Aarif Rasheed, a lawyer working with some victim families, said they were not given any indication of why Tarrant changed his pleas from not guilty. 

"Any possible explanations are speculative but we do know terrorists are often seeking a sense of self-importance and attention to their cause," Mr Rasheed said. "The Covid-19 pandemic has removed that."

Tarrant, who faces a lifetime prison sentence, had posted a "manifesto" on social media ahead of the attack that called immigrants "invaders" and referred to "white genocide", a term used by white supremacists to describe the growth of minority populations. 

Tarrant’s lawyers did not respond to a request for comment.

FAMILIES RELIEVED

Mr Sheikh Hasan Rubel, 35, who survived from the attack despite being shot three times, said the guilty pleas brought both surprise and relief. 

"Whenever I thought about the court proceedings it used to affect me mentally, and I did not want to re-live all of it," he told Reuters over the phone. 

"Now I feel quite relieved. We had faith in New Zealand’s legal system and I was sure he will get whatever he deserves."

Mr Farid Ahmed, whose wife was killed at the Al Noor mosque, said the guilty plea was the courageous and right thing to do. 

"His heart has realised what is right and he has admitted his guilt," Mr Farid said.  "That would save him from more emotional and mental trauma, and the rest of country’s time and efforts," he added.

"For Muslim community, it wold save them from going through the court process and refreshing memories of this tragedy."