ULAANBAATAR (Mongolia) - Malaysia said on Saturday (July 16) at least 127 Malaysians are stranded at two airports in Turkey, after an overnight coup attempt resulted in an enforcement of a no-fly zone in the country.
"These figures are what we have got so far. They are stranded after the no-fly zone and flight cancellations are declared in the country," Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi was quoted by Bernama as saying.
Of the affected Malaysians, 27 were stranded at the Ataturk International Airport in Istanbul, while over 100 at the Esenboga International Airport in Ankara.
Zahid said Wisma Putra would coordinate with the Malaysian Embassy in Ankara to ensure the welfare and safety of Malaysians were protected.
He was leading a Malaysian delegation to the 11th Asia-Europe Meeting Summit in Mongolia.