While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, May 31 edition

A traveller gives her laptop to an official before scanning her carry-on bags at JFK airport in New York City, May 17, 2017.
A traveller gives her laptop to an official before scanning her carry-on bags at JFK airport in New York City, May 17, 2017.PHOTO: REUTERS

US says no laptop ban on board flights from Europe for now

US aviation security officials stepped back from imposing a ban on carry-on computers on flights coming from Europe, which had been proposed to guard against possible bomb-laden electronics from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militant group.

But the Department of Homeland Security said a ban, already in place for US-bound flights from the Middle East, could still be implemented for Europe if the threat level worsens.

In a phone discussion with European Home Affairs Commissioner Dimitris Avramopoulos and Transport Commissioner Violeta Bulc Tuesday, DHS Secretary John Kelly “made it clear” a ban on passengers carrying tablet and computer-sized electronics on board flights to the United States “is still on the table,” DHS said in a statement.

“Secretary Kelly affirmed he will implement any and all measures necessary to secure commercial aircraft flying to the United States – including prohibiting large electronic devices from the passenger cabin – if the intelligence and threat level warrant it.”

A European Commission spokesman confirmed the discussion, saying that no decision had been made on the laptop ban, but that the two sides “agreed to intensify talks” on tightening aviation security.

READ MORE HERE

Tennis: French Open player banned in TV reporter kiss storm

A French tennis player who tried to kiss a television reporter against her will during a live broadcast at Roland Garros was banished from the tournament for his “reprehensible behaviour”.

Maxime Hamou, 21, grabbed Eurosport journalist Maly Thomas around the neck and shoulders while she interviewed him following his first round defeat on Monday.

“It was frankly unpleasant. If it hadn’t been live on air, I would have punched him,” Thomas told the French edition of the Huffington Post.

READ MORE HERE

Ariana Grande to return to Manchester for star-studded benefit gig

US pop star Ariana Grande announced she would return to Manchester to headline a star-studded benefit concert for the victims of the deadly attack on her show last week.

Justin Bieber, Coldplay, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Pharrell Williams, Usher and Take That will join her for Sunday’s concert in memory of the 22 people who died, seven of them children.

“Our response to this violence must be to come closer together, to help each other, to love more, to sing louder and to live more kindly and generously than we did before,” Grande said.

READ MORE HERE

Android software creator unveils 'Essential' phone

A creator of the Android software powering most of the world's smartphones stepped into the competitive hardware market with a new handset called Essential.

Andy Rubin said in an online post that he is tackling clutter, complexity and rapid obsolescence in the smartphone market by issuing a high-quality phone that allows for accessories such as a 360-camera to be magnetically snapped on when wanted.

The smartphones will first be released in the United States, where they can be reserved at the website www.essential.com for US$699 (S$960). A 360-camera that snaps on magnetically to the back of the phone can be ordered for an additional US$50.

READ MORE HERE 

Football: Mahrez asks to leave Leicester

Riyad Mahrez, one of the inspirations behind Leicester City's fairytale Premier League title triumph, has told the club he wants to leave, he said in a statement released.

"Out of the huge admiration and respect I hold for Leicester City Football Club, I wanted to be totally honest and transparent with them and have therefore informed the club that I feel now is the time for me to move on," Mahrez said in a statement sent to various media outlets.

Mahrez, 26, was one of the stars of Leicester's 2015-16 title win and shone as they reached the Champions League quarter-finals this season, but with the club having finished 12th in the table, he now wants to move on. A source close to Mahrez told AFP the Algeria winger would only leave Leicester for a "big club" and had not yet received any offers.

READ MORE HERE