SINGAPORE - A 69 year-old man has died from dengue, the fifth person to have fallen to the disease this year.
The patient was a Chinese man who lived at Chuan Terrace. He was admitted to Mount Alvernia Hospital on Monday, said the Health Ministry and National Environment Agency in a statement on Thursday evening.
His condition deteriorated and he subsequently passed away on Thursday.
MOH said that the man was living in an active dengue cluster, with 20 counts of mosquito breeding in the area so far.
The National Environment Agency has been embarking on vector control operations to kill infective adult mosquitos and destroying potential breeding habitats.
MOH noted that while the number of dengue cases has been falling over the past five weeks, residents should remain vigilant.
"Residents are encouraged to cooperate fully. Landed home owners are reminded to check their roof gutters, clear blockages and place Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTI) larvicide monthly. They should also clear the drains in their gardens from blockages, and place water bearing receptacles under shelter," said MOH.