Not conclusive that bacterium which caused boy's food poisoning came from nasi padang stall: Coroner

The food stall in Northpoint shopping centre was inspected and found to have hygiene lapses, and the stallholder was prosecuted and fined under the Environmental Public Health (Food Hygiene) Regulations. -- PHOTO: ST FILE
The food stall in Northpoint shopping centre was inspected and found to have hygiene lapses, and the stallholder was prosecuted and fined under the Environmental Public Health (Food Hygiene) Regulations. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

SINGAPORE - A coroner on Wednesday said it was not possible to establish conclusively that a four-year-old boy, his mother and younger sister were infected with salmonella at a nasi padang stall where they had eaten.

They had developed fever, diarrhoea and vomiting on Jan 19, a day after eating food from the stall at Kopitiam food court in Northpoint shopping centre, and the boy later died.

State Coroner Marvin Bay was giving his findings after a further hearing into the food poisoning death of Shayne Sujith Balasubraamaniam.

The boy died from salmonella septicaemia on Jan 22.

The food stall was inspected and found to have hygiene lapses, and the stallholder was prosecuted and fined under the Environmental Public Health (Food Hygiene) Regulations.