Friday, Sep 19, 2014Friday, Sep 19, 2014
Asia
 

Thailand warns visitors to Koh Phangan of toxic jellyfish after French boy's death

Published on Aug 26, 2014 2:50 PM
 
Authorities on Tuesday, Aug 26, 2014, urged visitors to the popular Thai resort island of Koh Phangan to take care when swimming after a five-year-old French boy died from a sting by the world's most toxic jellyfish. -- PHOTO: ST FILE

BANGKOK (AFP) - Authorities on Tuesday urged visitors to the popular Thai resort island of Koh Phangan to take care when swimming after a five-year-old French boy died from a sting by the world's most toxic jellyfish.

The boy, who was holidaying with his family, died on Saturday evening after he was stung by a box jellyfish - regarded as one of the deadliest creatures on earth.

While stings from the species are rare, they are potentially fatal, prompting police on Koh Phangan to urge hotels and local authorities to warn tourists to be careful in the water.

"Preliminary tests found the boy died of a box jellyfish sting," Police Lieutenant Saengroj Somrotrat told AFP, adding his body was awaiting repatriation to France.

 
If you are not a subscriber, you can get instant, unlimited access here

Videos