Fatal electrocution of cleaner could have been easily avoided

The report on the "unfortunate industrial misadventure" of a cleaner ("Cleaner electrocuted: Court points to footwear lapse"; Nov 30), s mentioned that the victim might have avoided the fatal electric shock had he worn safety shoes.

Workers are normally issued with safety shoes to prevent their toes from being crushed by heavy objects.

The cleaner may have removed his to avoid them getting wet. Perhaps his supervisor should have handed him a pair of rubber boots.

This unfortunate incident would also not have happened if safe work practices had been adhered to.

A portable, high-pressure water jet cleaning machine which uses a 230-volt power supply should always be connected to an extension board fitted with a safety device that will cut off the electricity automatically when it detects a leakage exceeding 0.03 ampere, far below what would kill a person.

It is also possible that the cleaner was not briefed on the risks associated with his work and the machine he was using.

Yap Cheng Thut