Taleban reject claims they may cancel Qatar talks

KABUL (AFP) - The Taleban on Sunday rejected reports that they may cancel peace talks with the US and the Afghan governments over criticism of the insurgents' office that opened in Qatar last week.

A Taleban spokesman in Afghanistan rejected a New York Times story published on Saturday that quoted an unnamed rebel official saying the insurgents were determined to keep the office's sign and flag that triggered fury in Kabul.

The sign used the formal name of "Islamic Emirate Of Afghanistan" from the rebels' 1996-2001 government, and the white Taleban flag was seen by many Afghans as a provocative reminder of the cruelties of Taleban rule.

The opening of the Qatar office was intended as a first step towards a peace deal as the US-led NATO combat mission ends next year, but the Afghan government accused the rebels of posing as a government-in-exile.

Taleban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on Sunday that the anonymous "Taliban official" quoted in the New York Times did not represent the movement's views.

"(The Taleban) has its own spokespersons who provides information to the media," Mujahid said in a statement.

"Anyone except these spokespersons giving information, it would not be (information) from the Islamic Emirate.

"The enemy for long time have given statements in their interests citing unknown persons (as Taleban spokespersons), an example of which is an interview published on the New York Times."

US Secretary of State John Kerry, on a visit to Qatar on Saturday, warned that Washington could call on the Taleban to close the office if the rebels failed to live up to their side of peace efforts.

"It is our hope that this could ultimately be an important step in reconciliation if it's possible. We know that it may well not be possible," Mr Kerry told reporters in Doha.

If the Taleban do not address concerns, "We may have to consider whether or not the office has to be closed."

President Barack Obama has supported dialogue with the Taleban as the US prepares to pull out its 68,000 combat troops from Afghanistan next year, ending the longest US war which has become increasingly unpopular at home.

The Taleban ruled Afghanistan from 1996-2001, imposing a harsh version of Sunni Islamic law that banned television, music and cinema, stopped girls from going to school and forced woman to wear the all-covering burqa.

They were ousted in 2001 for sheltering the Al-Qaeda militants behind the 9/11 attacks, but launched a resilient and bloody insurgency against US-led NATO troops and the US-backed Afghan government.

Talk of a meeting between US and Taleban officials in Qatar has been put on hold, and the US has stressed the office must not be treated as an embassy and must be used only for peace talks.

Register here to get free digital access to The Straits Times until Aug 9, 2015.
Comments