Headlines were made around the world after a UN-backed arbitral tribunal ruled that China has no legal basis to claim "historic rights" to resources in the disputed South China Sea.
Here were how some international publications covered the aftermath of Tuesday's (July 12) ruling.
XINHUA NEWS AGENCY
In a brief report, Xinhua, which is China's official press agency, referred to the award in the Philippines' favour as "ill-founded", and referred to the tribunal as "law-abusing".
It also reiterated Beijing's refusal to participate in the proceedings.
China's English language newspaper China Daily reported on the Foreign Ministry's rejection of "third-party imposition" in the South China Sea.
A ministry spokesman was quoted as saying that China's territorial sovereignty and maritime rights and interests "shall, under no circumstances, be affected" by the court judgement.
The unilateral initiation of the arbitration case was an act "of bad faith", while the conduct of the tribunal and its awards were "unjust and unlawful", the spokesman added.
The Philippines Inquirer reported on the country's "win" after several months of hearings and submission of documents.
It noted that Filipino fishermen have been unable to fish in the resource rich Scarborough Shoal since a stand-off with Chinese vessels in 2013, adding that China's reclamation activities have alarmed other South-east Asian nations, particularly Vietnam, which also has competing claims in the area.
The Manila Bulletin said China was "slammed" by an international tribunal for building a large artificial island on Mischief Reef, which harmed its coral reef ecosystem.
It quoted Philippines' Supreme Court Justice Antonio T. Carpio as saying that the court's decision "reaffirms mankind's faith in the rule of law" to peacefully resolve disputes without the threat or use of force.
SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST
A South China Morning Post commentary tips the Philippines to opt for a "soft landing" following the ruling and for new president Rodrigo Duterte to seek economic concessions from China in exchange for settling the issue.
It quoted observers as saying that both countries had recently shown a "willingness to resume talks and strike a compromise" to resolve their maritime disputes.
THE NEW YORK TIMES
The New York Times referred to the landmark case as "an important crossroads in the global rise of China", noting on how Beijing was rebuked for its aggressive behaviour in the South China Sea by the tribunal.
The report said it was the first time the Chinese government had been summoned before the international justice system, with neighbouring countries hoping that the outcome serves as a model for negotiating with Beijing or to tackle its assertive tactics in the region.
It added that many in the region were worried that China's likely response would be to continue its expansion efforts in the oil- and mineral-rich South China Sea.
A former senior Chinese official was quoted as saying that the findings would amount to no more than "waste paper" and that China would not back down from its activities, even in the face of the US fleet.