Football: Turkey detains 2 men suspected of attack on Fenerbahce team bus

ANKARA (AFP) - Turkish police on Tuesday detained the suspected gunman and an alleged accomplice wanted for the attack on top-flight football side Fenerbahce that sent shockwaves through the game in the country.

The bus carrying Fenerbahce's star-studded side was attacked as the team returned from an away victory - a 5-1 win over Caykur Rizespor - in the Black Sea region on Saturday, leaving the driver badly hurt.

"Two suspects have been detained, they are being interrogated," Abdil Celil Oz, governor of the northeast region of Trabzon where the attack took place late on Saturday, said in televised comments.

One of the men is suspected of trailing the bus after it took the players away from the game in the Black Sea city of Rize. He then alerted the suspected gunman when the bus was passing close to Trabzon which lies an hour's drive west of Rize, he said.

"There was evidence that one of them had been chasing the motorcade from Rize and the other had committed the armed attack," Oz said. "Therefore we detained these two people early in the morning."

Turkish media named the two suspects as Nihat S., 38, and Emre A., 27. Both men have denied the charges against them.

Fenerbahce said the team would not play again until the incident was resolved and the Turkish Football Federation announced that league games would be suspended for one week.