Parliament: Singaporean killed, 7 Singapore citizens injured in Bangkok blast

Experts investigate the Erawan shrine at the site of a deadly blast in central Bangkok, Thailand on Aug 18, 2015.
Experts investigate the Erawan shrine at the site of a deadly blast in central Bangkok, Thailand on Aug 18, 2015.PHOTO: REUTERS

SINGAPORE - A Singaporean woman was killed and seven Singaporeans were injured in the bomb blast near the Erawan Shrine in central Bangkok on Monday night, Foreign Affairs Minister K. Shanmugam told Parliament in a ministerial statement on Tuesday (Aug 18).

The Straits Times understands that the deceased is Melisa Liu Rui Chun, 34. Her husband Ng Su Teck, 35 was injured by glass shrapnel.

Mr Shanmugam said Singapore strongly condemns the "heinous attack", which left over 20 people dead and 120 injured so far.

"We have all been deeply shocked by the bombing in central Bangkok yesterday... Members will join me in extending our deepest condolences to the family to the young lady who was killed," Mr Shanmugam said.

"Someone's evil action. And a life of promise snatched away in a moment of terror, and an innocent family's lifetime of grief. It is a tragic loss to all who were injured including the Singaporeans. We wish them speedy recovery," he added.

Singapore's ambassador to Thailand, Mrs Chua Siew San, visited the injured Singaporeans in the hospitals on Tuesday.

Giving an update, Mr Shanmugam said: "All are receiving medical attention and treatment. Some of those who suffered light injuries have been discharged."

He added that Singapore extends its deepest sympathies to the people and Government of Thailand, as well as to the victims of the blast.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) has been "working overnight" to contact and assist Singaporeans in Bangkok, and its embassy is in close contact with the Thai authorities, Mr Shanmugam added.

The MFA will continue to render consular assistance to the affected Singaporeans.

"We strongly condemn this heinous attack... nothing can justify the killing of innocent civilians. This is the latest in a long series of such attacks. Unfortunately, it won't be the last. The Thai authorities have launched investigations. Those responsible for this act must be brought to justice," he added.