2 injured after fire breaks out in residential unit in Tiong Bahru

SINGAPORE - A fire broke out in a residential unit in Tiong Bahru on Sunday (July 30) afternoon, sending debris falling onto the street.

The affected unit is on the fourth floor of Block 82, Tiong Poh Road. Smoke could be seen coming out of the unit at around 1.30pm.

Emergency response vehicles such as police cars, police bikes, an ambulance, a fire engine and a Red Rhino were spotted at the scene.

Fireman were seen spraying water from hoses up into the window of the affected unit.

Get The Straits Times
newsletters in your inbox

Resident Wendy Chong, who lives across the street, told The Straits Times a man staying in the apartment had suffered burns on his left foot. He is believed to be staying there with his brother. 

Mr John Pavri, 50, who lives in the unit below, said the fire started around 12.45pm. His 13-year-old son Luke had just returned from buying lunch, when he heard the sound of glass cracking.

He initially thought it was a quarrel, but when he opened the main door, a neighbour asked them to evacuate and they did so.

An eyewitness said police officers told people nearby to stand under the shelters as debris was falling.

Replying to queries from The Straits Times, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it responded to the incident at 1.05pm, with two fire engines, a Red Rhino, two fire bikes, an ambulance and a support vehicle.

The fire in the fourth floor unit "involved the contents of the living room", and was extinguished using one water jet.

The two occupants, who had already evacuated prior to the SCDF's arrival, were taken to Singapore General Hospital

One of them was a man in his 50s who sustained burn injuries, while the other was a man in his 30s who suffered from smoke inhalation.

In a Facebook post, Tanjong Pagar GRC MP Indranee Rajah said that Tiong Bahru Community Club opened its rooms for affected residents to seek shelter, while the fire was being put out. The first three floors of the residential block have since been cleared for re-entry.


A fire broke out in a residential unit on the fourth floor of Block 82, Tiong Poh Road, on July 30, 2017. ST PHOTO: STEPHANIE YEOW


A fire broke out in a residential unit on the fourth floor of Block 82, Tiong Poh Road, on July 30, 2017. ST PHOTO: STEPHANIE YEOW


A fire broke out in a residential unit on the fourth floor of Block 82, Tiong Poh Road, on July 30, 2017. ST PHOTO: STEPHANIE YEOW