Fire breaks out at St Andrew's Junior School; no injuries reported

Smoke was seen coming from the canteen.
Smoke was seen coming from the canteen. PHOTO: ST READER

SINGAPORE - A fire broke out at St Andrew's Junior School in Potong Pasir on Friday (Sept 29), with smoke filling the canteen.

The fire occurred around 12.50pm. The Singapore Civil Defence Force told The Straits Times that a staff member extinguished the fire, which involved discarded items, using a fire extinguisher before SCDF arrived.

There were no injuries reported.

A spokesman for the school told ST that "a small fire broke out in the toilet at the school canteen this afternoon".

"An SMS was sent to all parents to inform them of the situation and to update that staff and students were safe," said the spokesman.  "All students were dismissed as per normal at 1.45pm."

A 17-year-old student at the nearby affiliated St Andrew's Junior College told The Straits Times that the principal of the JC made an announcement to the school around 1pm telling students not to use the bridge near the canteen.

The student, who declined to give his name, said he visited the Junior School around 2.40pm and the canteen "looked fine" but "smelled of smoke".

"There were two police cars in the carpark and a few policemen outside the general office," he said.

However, he added that there were still children playing in the canteen.

Photos of the scene show smoke filling the canteen, and students gathered outside, watching.

The police said they were alerted to the case of fire at 2 Francis Thomas Drive at 12.47pm.

Police investigations are ongoing.


Smoke was seen coming from the canteen. PHOTO: ST READER