Police warn against public speculation in Yishun death case

Police removing the body of the deceased at Block 279, Yishun Street 22.
Police removing the body of the deceased at Block 279, Yishun Street 22.ST PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM

SINGAPORE - The police have advised the public to refrain from commenting or speculating on the case of a man being found dead in Yishun on Saturday (July 9).

In a news release on Monday, police said a "thorough investigation" into the unnatural death is ongoing and that people are free to comment on the matter after the "full and true" facts are established in court.

Laying out the timeline of the case, police said it received a call at 7.57pm on Saturday requesting for assistance at Block 279, Yishun Street 22.

Upon arrival, a 26-year-old man, identified in media reports as Shawn Ignatius Rodrigues, was found lying motionless and was subsequently pronounced dead by paramedics.

 
 

The deceased and the accused, a 20-year-old Singaporean male, had known each other for a few years, police confirmed.

Between April last year and March, the accused's mother had lodged a total of four police reports against the deceased.

Three of the reports were for alleged nuisance caused by the deceased after he had turned up at the accused's house to look for the latter and been asked by the accused's family to leave.

The fourth report was lodged on March 27, which police are investigating as a case of outrage of modesty of a female.

Police said they interviewed the accused's mother and also sent her a letter on April 8, acknowledging an appeal made by them through her Member of Parliament K. Shanmugam, and confirming that the matter was under investigation.

The accused's family had also made a number of "999" calls whenever the deceased had turned up at the accused's house, police said.

Separately, on June 30, the deceased had also lodged a police report alleging that he had been assaulted by the accused in the vicinity of Block 279, Yishun Street 22, on June 23.

But he had also indicated that he did not wish to pursue the matter further, police noted.

It has been following up on the reports lodged by the parties and has been engaging both sides. Following police advice, the accused's family had also lodged a magistrate complaint against the deceased.

The parties had also been attending Community Court mediation proceedings since February, with the last session held in May, the statement said.

Police warned that commenting or speculating on issues which will have to be dealt with in court proceedings may be sub judice.

"The police will conduct a thorough investigation and there will be proceedings in Court, in relation to the death of the deceased. Pending the Court proceedings, everyone should refrain from commenting or speculating about the case, and what may or may not have happened," police said in the statement.

"The full and true facts will be established in Court. Once the proceedings are over, and the facts have been established, people are free to comment on the matter, the facts, including the conduct of all the parties, the investigations, and the legal process."