The aromas of mulled wine, a warm spiced and sweet wine typically enjoyed over the festive season, will perfume your home with the scent of Christmas.
Some recipes call for the addition of vanilla and sugar, but this version is more traditional and is made with fruit, wine and spices.
Here's a simple recipe for Christmas in a glass.
15 to 20 cloves
750ml or 1 bottle of red wine
2 to 3 cinnamon sticks
2 cardamom pods
1. Slice an orange crosswise, into 1cm-thick wheels. Set aside four slices.
2. Pin cloves into each segment of the orange slices.
3. Pour a bottle of red wine into a pot on low heat.
4. Add the orange slices with the cloves into the wine. Simmer.
5. Once the wine begins to bubble, add the cinnamon sticks and cardamom pods.
6. Let it simmer for another five to 10 minutes. Make sure the wine does not boil vigorously.
7. Scoop into a glass and serve warm.