PETALING JAYA (The Star/Asia News Network) - A week after getting robbed while using a private hire car service, the female victim was apparently so traumatised that she lost her six-week-old foetus.
Ms Wong Mei Yan said she had been looking forward to welcoming her first-born early next year, but that hope ended on Saturday (May 27) morning when she miscarried.
Ms Wong, 26, made the claim at a press conference organised by Selangor Gerakan chief Datuk Ang Chin Tat, in which she expressed her disappointment with Uber, which she alleged did not take her case seriously.
"I lodged a complaint with them, but did not get an immediate response," said Ms Wong, who claimed that she received a call from the company's representative three days after the May 21 incident.
Get The Straits Times
newsletters in your inbox
"I was too distressed to talk to him (then), and only managed to express how upset I was over their lack of action," she said, claiming that the caller had sounded rude to her.
Ms Wong said the emotional stress and trauma caused her to miscarry.
Mr Ang said Gerakan has offered to help Wong and her partner, who only wanted to be known as Tiong, file a suit against Uber.
When contacted, an Uber spokesman expressed sympathy and explained that they had been working with the police since they were made aware of the matter within hours of the incident.
"On police instruction, since this is an ongoing criminal investigation, we were unable to comment on the matter, or to reach out to either party.
"We have now been in contact with Madam Wong and will continue to engage her regarding this incident," said the spokesman.
Ms Wong booked a ride from Mid Valley to Puchong after feeling unwell at work at around 9.30pm last Sunday.
She said there was another passenger in the front seat, and the duo robbed her at knifepoint in the middle of the journey.
Police arrested the driver at an R&R in Pagoh near Muar, Johor, on May 24, while his accomplice remains at large.
In a related development, the Land Public Transport Commission (SPAD) said it will be summoning Uber over the matter.
It said in a statement that although the incident fell under police jurisdiction, it will get Uber to immediately review its screening process for its drivers as the commission viewed the matter seriously.
"The well-being and safety of passengers remain top priority for SPAD. Once full regulation of e-hailing is passed in Parliament (expected by July), SPAD expects e-hailing operators to uphold the highest standards of safety and service quality," it said.