HULU SELANGOR - One person was injured in a major landslide that occurred in the Malaysian state of Selangor on Saturday morning (Nov 26).
The Star reported that a motorcyclist was injured by the landslide that struck Taman Idaman in Serendah in the Hulu Selangor district.
A food stall in the vicinity and 10 vehicles parked at a roadside were also buried when they fell into a gap caused by the landslide, Bernama reported.
Muhammad Fareez Hanuddin, 21, fractured his left hand in the incident and was was sent to hospital for treatment, The Star reported. He was discharged four hours later.
The gym assistant said he was heading home on his motorcycle from his workplace in Selayang at about 1am when the ground beneath him gave way and swallowed him up.
"I was just passing by the road going to my house. I didn't hear anything, I didn't feel or see anything. Suddenly I was just falling," Muhammad Fareez, 21, told The Star.
Muhammad Fareez said his motorcycle fell sideways into the collapsing gorge of mud and he found his body trapped in the earth.
He blacked out shortly after although he remembers that two people pulled him out.
Selangor Fire and Rescue assistant director of operations Mohd Sani Harul said it dispatched its personnel to the scene following a distress call at 1am.
Another person who was affected by the landslide said it occurred about two metres from his home. Muhammad Zamir Othman, 31, said his family was getting ready to go to sleep when they were shocked by a thunderous sound.
"I was going to sleep, but suddenly there was a loud sound, like thunder. When I looked outside, I saw the earth move and falling off the cliff," he told The Star.
He said that he panicked and rushed out of his house to see what had happened.
"I ran out barefooted and saw a motorcycle buried under the soil. I also panicked when my neighbour couldn't open his front door," he said.
But he said he was thankful that his wife and three-year-old daughter managed to escape to his mother's home, which was nearby.
"It felt like doomsday," he told the paper.
Police said they have declared the area surrounding the landslide a Red Zone. Around 340 residents living in a 500 metre radius of the area have been given until 1.45pm Saturday to leave their homes.
Hulu Selangor police chief R. Supramaniam said that so far only six families have evacuated the area.
He said that initial investigations show that the underground water level was rising.
He added that Selangor water supply company Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor (Syabas) has said that the water did not come from pipes in the area and was most probably due to water from the nearby hills made worse by heavy rainfall.
The Hulu Selangor District Public Works Department has also been instructed to carry out immediate repair works at the affected area.