BANGKOK (THE NATION/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Nobody was trapped by a massive fire that hit the Major Cineplex Pinklao shopping mall in Bangkok on Thursday (July 28), said the police, despite the blaze causing a roof to collapse.
However, The Bangkok Post reported that one fireman had been hurt.
The police said the fire started at 11.15am, and the roof on the third floor collapsed 20 minutes later, prompting the evacuation of all the firefighters at the scene, who continued dousing the blaze from the outside.
Fifteen fire engines had rushed to the scene. The police closed two traffic lanes in front of the shopping mall to facilitate firefighting operations.
Bang Plad district director Kannikarn Sangprasit said the fire was caused by a short circuit.
She said a sign at a cinema in the mall, which is opposite to the Central Pinklao shopping mall, had short circuited. That led to the ignition of small fires that fell onto a carpet on the floor, and resulted in the bigger blaze.
After the fire is put out, the building will be closed for safety checks related to the integrity of the building structure, she added.