Malaysia cancels passports of 68 ISIS supporters, hunts for militants linked to Puchong attack

Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.PHOTO: THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

KUALA SELANGOR (The Star/Asia News Network) - Sixty-eight Malaysians have had their passports revoked by the government for involvement with the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said.

"They no longer have travel documents as Malaysian citizens and if they return to the country, action in line with the Immigration Act will be initiated against them," Dr Ahmad Zahid, who is also Home Minister, told reporters after opening the Kuala Selangor Umno division meeting on Sunday (Aug 7).

He added that the passports were cancelled two weeks earlier under the orders of Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak, after the involvement of the 68 was uncovered by intelligence.

Earlier in his speech Dr Ahmad Zahid said those who had left the country to go and serve the militant group did not deserve to return home.

Dr Ahmad Zahid added that there would be no compromise with those who have betrayed their country and people.

"We will disown them," said Dr Ahmad Zahid, adding that the government did not want "ideological criminals" in the country.

 

He narrated how two families with young children - from Shah Alam and Ipoh - had sold their property and belongings and moved to Syria to serve ISIS.

"But what they are doing now is washing toilets and sweeping roads there. I have photos to prove it," he added.

Dr Ahmad Zahid said he had received messages that they regreted their move and wanted to return home.

"But the Cabinet has decided to cancel their passports," he added.

On another matter, Dr Ahmad Zahid said the authorities were searching for eight out of the 10 grenades in the hands of a militant group which launched an attack on a night club in Puchong on June 28.

Two men riding a motorcycle threw the grenades into the Movida nightclub in Puchong, about 25km south-west of capital city Kuala Lumpur, injuring eight people.

Dr Ahmad Zahid said police and the military were hunting for the militants and the eight bombs in their possession.