KUALA LUMPUR (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Several more suspects with links to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) have been picked up as police stepped up momentum to curb the spread of its deviant ideology.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said more arrests were expected in the next few days.
"We are still on the manhunt for the two suspects involved in the Puchong grenade attack," he told The Star at the Hari Raya Aidilfitri open house of Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali on Thursday (July 7).
"They have gone into hiding but we are confident of tracking them down in due course," he said.
He added that police were also monitoring closely social websites and deploying more personnel to keep watch on "sensitive areas".
IGP Khalid reminded the media not to publicise the activities or any new threats issued by the militants that could be detrimental to the country's peace and security.
"Let's not give them space and avenue to project themselves outright," he said.
"We are aware that several of them are aiming to be the cell leader by planning more dastardly acts," he said, adding that police had their own strategy of checking and countering the movement.
He said so far, no other personnel from within the police force was influenced by the movement except for two rank-and-file members who had already been detained for questioning.
It is learnt that three Malaysians were competing to become the ISIS chapter's head in Malaysia.
They are Mohd Rafi Udin @ Abu Awn Al-Malizi from Negeri Sembilan; Muhamad Wanndy Mohamad Jedi @ Abu Hamzah Al-Fateh from Malacca and Zainuri Kamaruddin @ Abu Thalma Malizi from Perak.
A nationwide manhunt has been launched to track down Md Saifuddin Muji, 28, and Jasanizam Rosni, 33, for their alleged role in the bombing in Puchong.