Fed-up father refuses to post bail for son in Malaysia

Herry Dass crying and begging for his father’s mercy as he is being led out of the court.
Herry Dass crying and begging for his father’s mercy as he is being led out of the court.PHOTO: THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK

IPOH (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK) - Since his teenage years, 26-year-old M. Herry Dass has gotten into trouble with the law many times, and his father has bailed him out. That was then.

On Wednesday (Dec 7), he was shocked when his father told the judge presiding over his gang robbery case that he no longer wished to become his son's bondsman.

"I no longer wish to post bail for my son," said Mr V. Mariadass in a calm tone.

Herry Dass got down on his knees and wailed "appa, appa ... please, please, please", ignoring repeated warnings by Sessions Court judge S. Indra Nehru to stop or face contempt charges.

The judge who was hearing the case when it was brought up for mention on Wednesday (Dec 7), eventually stood down the case to give Mr Mariadass time to think through his decision.

On June 24, Herry Dass was granted bail of RM3,000 (S$959) by the court after he claimed trial to a charge of gang robbery under Section 395 of the Penal Code, which carries a maximum 20-year jail sentence.

Not moved by his son's pleas, the father dialled his mobile phone and passed it to Herry Dass.

After speaking to his mother briefly on the phone, Herry Dass passed the phone back to his father. But instead of speaking to his wife, Mr Mariadass terminated the call and put the phone back into his pocket.

After five minutes had passed, Mr Mariadass held firm to his decision.

"Yes, I'm very sure about my decision. I stand firm in my decision," the disappointed father told the court.

Again, Herry Dass started wailing and begging his father while policemen handcuffed him.

He was dragged away from the dock and out of the courtroom.

Speaking to reporters later, Mr Mariadass said it was not the first time that his eldest son had been in trouble with the law.

"He refuses to work and instead gets into trouble time after time," he said.

"This is his third or fourth run in with the law within 10 years and I've had to borrow as much as RM20,000 to pay his fines.

"He doesn't listen. He never learns and I'm fed up," said the 55-year-old labourer, who works at the Kuala Pari wholesale market.