When can food poisoning kill and what to do to prevent it

A 38-year-old man died about a week after consuming catered food prepared by Spize restaurant in River Valley. Mr Fadli Salleh was one of 81 people who suffered gastroenteritis, allegedly after eating bento boxes from that Spize outlet. ST PHOTO: ALPHONSUS CHERN
New: Gift this subscriber-only story to your friends and family

SINGAPORE - We would all have eaten contaminated food and suffered the consequence at some point in our lives; it is not usually serious.

However, last Wednesday (Nov 14), 38-year-old Fadli Salleh died about a week after consuming catered food prepared by Spize restaurant in River Valley. His lungs and kidneys were said to have been affected and he was in critical condition in an intensive care unit.

Already a subscriber? 

Read the full story and more at $9.90/month

Get exclusive reports and insights with more than 500 subscriber-only articles every month

Unlock these benefits

  • All subscriber-only content on ST app and straitstimes.com

  • Easy access any time via ST app on 1 mobile device

  • E-paper with 2-week archive so you won't miss out on content that matters to you

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.