World Briefs: Boko Haram blamed for suicide blasts

Boko Haram blamed for suicide blasts

KANO (Nigeria) • Suspected Boko Haram extremists killed at least 31 people in a twin suicide bomb attack on a town in north-east Nigeria, a local official and a militia leader said yesterday.

The attack is the latest reminder of Boko Haram's continued threat to Nigeria and the Lake Chad region, said Mr Ryan Cummings, Africa analyst at the Signal Risk consultancy in South Africa.

The deadly violence has put Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari under pressure as elections approach next February.


17 killed after tear gas sets off stampede

CARACAS • At least 17 people, including eight minors, were killed at a crowded Caracas club early last Saturday when a tear gas canister was detonated, setting off a stampede, Venezuelan officials said. The deaths occurred after a brawl broke out during a middle school graduation party and someone detonated the tear gas, sending more than 500 people rushing for the exits, said Interior and Justice Minister Nestor Reverol.

The club's manager was also arrested.


Artist emerges from buried container

HOBART • An Australian performance artist who was buried in a steel container under a busy road for 72 hours as part of a so-called dark arts festival was released from his self-imposed prison yesterday.

Mr Mike Parr, a 73-year-old performance artist whose creative endeavours typically explore physical limits, was entombed in the mini-shipping container late on Thursday and the road was resealed above him.

The burial act was part of the Dark Mofo Festival on the island state of Tasmania.


Sydney man faces terrorism charge

SYDNEY • A Sydney man has been charged with allegedly planning terrorism acts after he was stopped from travelling to Bangladesh following a luggage search, police said yesterday.

Nowroz Amin, 26, was blocked from flying in February 2016 after officials at Sydney Airport found clothing and material on electronic devices that "indicated his support for extremist ideology", the Australian Federal Police said.

He did not apply for bail yesterday and is due to return to court in August.


A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on June 18, 2018, with the headline 'World Briefs'. Print Edition | Subscribe