Formula One: British track intruder goes back to prison
A young Briton facing criminal charges for walking into the track during last month's Singapore Grand Prix voluntarily went back to prison on Friday, an act that would reduce an anticipated jail term.
Yogvitam Pravin Dhokia, 27, arrived in court for a pre-trial hearing with a large backpack and after conferring with the judge, along with his lawyer, was seen being led away by uniformed police officers.
"He chose to go back into remand," his lawyer Jeremy Mark Pereira told AFP. "He went back voluntarily."
Barack Obama, Park Geun-Hye ready to 'engage' North Korea
US President Barack Obama and his South Korean counterpart stressed their readiness to "engage" nuclear-armed North Korea on Friday (Oct 16), albeit with conditions.
Hailing the Washington-Seoul alliance as the "lynchpin" of security on the Korean Peninsula, Obama welcomed Park Geun-Hye to the White House and said his nuclear deal with Iran carried lessons for Northeast Asia.
If Pyongyang is willing to curb nuclear and missile programmes that have "achieved nothing except to deepen North Korea's isolation," Obama said, "I think it's fair to say we will be right there at the table."
Motor racing: Bernie Ecclestone defends Sepp Blatter, supports Vladimir Putin
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has defended Sepp Blatter's record as Fifa president and questioned why the 79-year-old Swiss should have to step down from the scandal-mired soccer body.
In an interview with state-funded Russian TV network RT, the 84-year-old also declared himself the "best supporter" of Russian president Vladimir Putin, spoke out against democracy and said he was "not very enthusiastic about America".
"I don't think he should ever have stepped down," Ecclestone said of Blatter, who has been in office for 18 years and been suspended for 90 days amid the worst corruption scandal in Fifa's history.
Rio Olympics chiefs say pool, sea concerns being resolved
Rio Olympics organisers said on Friday that a dispute with world swimming authorities over the construction of an open-air water polo facility for next year's Games is being resolved.
The Rio 2016 Olympics organising committee also insisted that testing of sewage-laden waters where sailing and some swimming events will take place meets new recommendations from the World Health Organisation.
Members of the international swimming authority Fina last month harshly criticised Rio's decision to use a roofless pool for the diving and water polo contests.
Death toll in Ankara attack rises to 102: Prosecutors
The death toll from the double suicide bombing in Ankara last weekend now stands at 102, prosecutors in the capital said on Friday, raising the previous official toll of 99 people.
"With one more citizen who lost his life (on Friday), the death toll in the incident has been confirmed as 102," the chief prosecutor's office said in a statement.
All but one has been identified and their bodies have been handed over to their relatives, the statement added.