Paris attacks: ‘Three teams’ in onslaught as police hunt suspects
French police have identified three teams of gunmen wearing suicide vests who killed at least 129 people during an onslaught on the French capital claimed by the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) group, prosecutors said Saturday.
A 29-year-old Frenchman was the first to be confirmed among the seven attackers, all of whom died in the assault, while two other men who registered as refugees in Greece have been linked to the atrocities.
The Greek line of enquiry, and the discovery of at least one Syrian passport at the scene, has raised suspicions some of the attackers or accomplices might have entered Europe as part of an influx of people fleeing Syria’s civil war.
Paris attacks: Belgian police arrest ‘several people’ after searches linked to attacks
Belgian police arrested several suspects in Brussels on Saturday during raids connected to the Paris attacks, including one who was in the French capital at the time of the carnage, Prime Minister Charles Michel said.
Michel told Belgian television that the arrests were linked to “suspect vehicles” identified during the investigation by French police into the attacks that killed at least 129 people.
The possible link to the new Paris attacks raises fresh fears that Belgium is becoming a hotbed of militancy, coming just months after connections emerged to the Charlie Hebdo attacks and August’s attempted attack on an Amsterdam-Paris train.
Paris attacks: 'Don't move or we'll kill you'
Loic Wiels could feel the bodies hitting the floor around him at a Paris music hall where a team of assailants opened fire on Friday in one of France's deadliest terror attacks.
The bullets whizzed so close, he was hit by the wood splinters they sent flying. And under his feet he could feel the blood that had poured out of the wounded and the dead.
Wiels is one of four survivors of the assault on the Bataclan concert venue who recounted to AFP how he survived.
Paris attacks: U2 cancels Paris concerts, visits Bataclan site
U2 has cancelled two sold-out concerts in Paris, including one to be broadcast live Saturday, and Foo Fighters cut short their tour after attacks that killed more than 120 people.
“We watched in disbelief and shock at the unfolding events in Paris and our hearts go out to all the victims and their families across the city tonight,” U2 said in a statement late Friday.
The Irish rockers on Saturday visited the site of the Bataclan concert hall attacks, where 82 people died during a show by US band Eagles of Death Metal.
Football: Cousin of French international Lassana Diarra victim of Paris attacks
French international Lassana Diarra has revealed that his cousin was one of the 129 victims killed in the Paris attacks on the night that he was playing against Germany at the Stade de France.
Diarra, the Olympique de Marseille midfielder, took to social media on Saturday to confirm that Asta Diakite, a cousin he described as being like a “big sister” to him, had died in Friday’s atrocities.
Diarra had been playing in the France-Germany international at France’s national stadium when explosions could be heard outside.