While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, May 24 edition

People pause in front of candles set up in front of floral tributes in Albert Square in Manchester, on May 23, 2017.
People pause in front of candles set up in front of floral tributes in Albert Square in Manchester, on May 23, 2017.PHOTO: AFP

Britain raises terror threat to critical level, names Manchester bomber

Britain is imminently facing another terror attack, Prime Minister Theresa May warned as she deployed soldiers at key sites after a suicide bomber killed 22 people at a pop concert in Manchester.

May said the national terror threat level was being raised from severe to critical, which means another attack is expected “imminently”.

Her dramatic statement came after 22-year-old Salman Abedi, reportedly a Briton of Libyan descent, was identified as the perpetrator behind Monday’s deadly attack, whose victims included an eight-year-old girl.

“It is a possibility we cannot ignore that there is a wider group of individuals linked to this attack,” May said at her Downing Street office.

She announced that the army would be deployed on the streets to support armed police under a plan codenamed Operation Temperer, which was developed in the aftermath of the November 2015 Paris terror attacks.


Ariana Grande returns to US following Manchester bombing: Report

Ariana Grande returned to the United States, one day after a suicide bomber killed 22 people at the pop singer's concert in Manchester, England, People magazine reported, as questions lingered over whether she would continue her European tour.

Grande, 23, was photographed landing at an airport in her hometown of Boca Raton, Florida, and being met by family members, the magazine said.

The pop star has not been seen publicly since an explosion ripped through the packed Manchester Arena at the end of her performance there. Some of the 22 people who died in the attack were teens or young girls. Grande was apparently unharmed.


Duterte declares martial law in southern Philippines

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte declared martial law across the southern third of the country, after deadly clashes between security forces and militants linked to the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria group in a major city.

The announcement, made by his spokesman at a press conference in Moscow where Duterte was on an official visit, fulfils an often-repeated warning by the President that he would enforce military rule to quell security threats.

Duterte placed all of the southern region of Mindanao, which makes up roughly one third of the country and is home to 20 million people, under martial law, spokesman Ernesto Abella said in the nationally televised briefing. He said martial law would be in place for 60 days, in line with constitutional limits on the use of military rule.


North Korea, if left unchecked, on 'inevitable' path to nuclear ICBM, says US intelligence official

North Korea, if left unchecked, is on an “inevitable” path to obtaining a nuclear-armed missile capable of striking the United States, Defence Intelligence Agency director Vincent Stewart told a Senate hearing.

The remarks are the latest indication of mounting US concern about Pyongyang’s advancing missile and nuclear weapons programmes, which the North says are needed for self-defence.

US lawmakers pressed Lieutenant-General Stewart and the director of national intelligence Dan Coats to estimate how far away North Korea was from obtaining an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) that could reach the United States. They repeatedly declined to offer an estimate, saying that doing so would reveal US knowledge about North Korea’s capabilities, but Stewart warned the panel the risk was growing.


Football: Sam Allardyce quits as Crystal Palace manager

Crystal Palace’s former England manager Sam Allardyce has quit the Premier League club five months after being appointed and said on Tuesday that he was leaving soccer management.

Allardyce, 62, kept south London side Palace in the top flight after replacing the sacked Alan Pardew in December, when the club was in 17th place just one point above the relegation zone. He had signed a two-and-a-half-year contract.

“It’s been a privilege to have worked here for the past five months. But there comes a time when you have to take stock of what direction you want your life to take – and that’s been the simple part for me,” Allardyce said in a statement.