While You Were Sleeping: 5 stories you might have missed, May 21 edition

US President Donald Trump and Saudi Arabia's King Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud watch a signing ceremony at the Saudi Royal Court in Riyadh on May 20, 2017.
US President Donald Trump and Saudi Arabia's King Salman bin Abdulaziz al-Saud watch a signing ceremony at the Saudi Royal Court in Riyadh on May 20, 2017. PHOTO: AFP

Under siege in Washington, Donald Trump reaps Saudi arms deal, stronger ties

Under political fire at home, US President Donald Trump sealed a US$110 billion (S$152 billion) arms deal with Saudi Arabia on Saturday (May 20) on his maiden foreign trip as he struggled to shift attention from the aftermath of his firing of the director of the FBI.  

The arms deal, plus other investments that US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said could total up to US$350 billion, was the central achievement of Trump’s first day in Riyadh, first stop on a nine-day journey through the Middle East and Europe.  

Speaking to journalists after a ceremony to exchange agreements, Trump said it was a “tremendous day” and spoke of “hundreds of billions of dollars of investments into the United States and jobs, jobs, jobs. So I would like to thank all of the people of Saudi Arabia.”

READ MORE HERE

G20 health ministers agree to tackle antibiotics resistance

Health ministers of the G20 leading economies, meeting for the first time on Saturday (May 20), agreed to work together to tackle issues such as a growing resistance to antibiotics and to start implementing national action plans by the end of 2018.

Germany, which holds the G20 presidency this year, said it was an "important breakthrough" that all nations had agreed to address the problem and work towards obligatory prescriptions for antibiotics.

Saying that globalisation caused infectious diseases to spread more quickly than previously, the 20 nations also pledged to strengthen health systems and improve their ability to react to pandemics and other health risks.

READ MORE HERE

Bomb scare briefly delays Cannes film screening

A bomb scare at the Cannes Film Festival forced a brief evacuation from the Debussy theatre on Friday (May 20).

The audience was waiting in the theatre for the start of director Michel Hazanavicius' Redoubtable, which is in competition for the prestigious Palme d'Or prize, before being evacuated.

State news agency Xinhua reported that squads of police were seen going inside the building with dogs. The alert was lifted about 20 minutes later.

READ MORE HERE

Philippine's Rodrigo Duterte's youngest son hosts new reality travel show

The youngest son of Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte now has his own reality travel show called Lakbai (loosely translated as "travel" in the Tagalog language).

Sebastian "Baste" Duterte, 29, is on a vastly different career path from his older siblings, who are both influential state politicians.

Sebastian is a dedicated sufer who often posts pictures of himself on his social media accounts. He has 129,000 followers on Instagram.

READ MORE HERE

Tennis: Djokovic crushes Thiem to secure Zverev Rome final

Novak Djokovic overcame having to play twice in a day before cruising into the final of the Rome Masters with a ruthless 6-1, 6-0 win over Dominic Thiem on Saturday (May 20).

Djokovic, the former four-time champion, was forced to finish his quarter-final over Juan Martin del Potro earlier in the day after their match was rained off late on Friday (May 19).

But the setback seemed only to inspire the 30-year-old Serbian second seed, as he set up what is expected to be a mouthwatering final, and first meeting, with Germany's Alexander Zverev.

READ MORE HERE