Man suffers electric shock while charging phone in bed

ALABAMA • A man who went to sleep with his iPhone charging on his bed via an extension cord was nearly electrocuted when a necklace that he was wearing caught the exposed prongs of the charger head.

Mr Wiley Day's metal dog-tag chain had become a conductor for electricity when the charger head came loose from the extension cord. The electricity travelled straight to Mr Day's neck, causing serious burns.

The jolt that he felt was "the eeriest, darkest, most demonic thing you could ever experience", he said. "I don't have enough adjectives to describe it."

Mr Day, 32, from Huntsville, Alabama, said that he was thrown from his bed to the ground. In a matter of moments, he stopped feeling anything.

"Your body is numb at that point," he said. "I guess people would think it would be burning, but in my case, I felt a whole lot of pressure around my neck."

His eyesight started to fade and he felt as if he was trying to see through a peephole, with everything rendered in black and grey. Somehow, he said, he managed to pull off the necklace.

SHOCKING EXPERIENCE

Your body is numb at that point. I guess people would think it would be burning, but in my case, I felt a whole lot of pressure around my neck.

MR WILEY DAY, who was nearly electrocuted when his necklace caught the exposed prongs of a charger head.

Mr Day remembered shouting for his relatives until his adult niece came running into the room. She noticed smoke coming out of the extension cord.

Mr Day's shirt was singed, with a small hole burned out. There were strips of skin and flesh missing where the chain had scorched his neck. The pattern of the necklace was burned into his hands where he had gripped the chain to try to yank it off.

Doctors at the hospital said that he suffered second- and third-degree burns to his hands and neck. He was discharged after three days.

According to the American Burn Association, there are, on average, 400 electrocution deaths and 4,400 injuries caused by electrical hazards each year in the United States.

Though the majority occur in the workplace, the group recommends taking precautions when using appliances and other electrical devices at home, including extension cords.

Extension cords are the cause of about 4,700 residential fires each year, resulting in about 50 deaths and 280 injuries annually, according to the group, which cited statistics from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.

WASHINGTON POST

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on April 03, 2017, with the headline 'Man suffers electric shock while charging phone in bed'. Print Edition | Subscribe