FBI confirms Trump hit by bullet in assassination attempt

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Since the shooting, Trump has made the attack a part of his campaign pitch.

Since the shooting, Trump has made the attack a part of his campaign pitch.

PHOTO: AFP

Follow topic:

- Former US president Donald Trump was indeed hit by an assassin’s bullet or a fragment of one, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said on July 26, putting to rest questions over the nature of the Republican candidate’s wounding at a campaign rally in July.

“What struck former president Trump in the ear was a bullet, whether whole or fragmented into smaller pieces, fired from the deceased subject’s rifle,” the FBI said in a statement.

Trump’s right ear was covered in blood on July 13

after he was injured during a campaign rally in Pennsylvania.

The FBI deemed the assault – in which a gunman fired eight bullets from outside the event’s security perimeter – an assassination attempt.

But FBI chief Christopher Wray told US lawmakers on July 24 that there was some doubt as to “whether or not it’s a bullet or shrapnel that, you know, that hit his ear”.

Following the new statement from the FBI – which Trump has long alleged is part of a “deep state” conspiring against him – the Republican posted on his Truth Social platform: “I assume that’s the best apology that we’ll get from director Wray, but it is fully accepted!”

Earlier on July 26, he posted a letter from his former White House doctor saying the wound was almost certainly due to a bullet.

“There is absolutely no evidence that it was anything other than a bullet,” wrote Dr Ronny Jackson, now a Republican congressman from Texas, on Truth Social.

Two rally attendees were seriously wounded in the attack and a 50-year-old Pennsylvania firefighter was shot dead, according to officials. The gunman was killed by a US Secret Service sniper.

Since the shooting, Trump has made the attack a key part of his campaign pitch, telling a crowd in Michigan that he “took a bullet for democracy”.

At the Republican National Convention where he was anointed the party’s nominee for president, Trump said he had “God on my side” as he described the attack.

And at Trump rallies, many of the former president’s supporters have taken to wearing bandages on their right ears, a reference to the attack.

On July 25, Trump also denied Mr Wray’s comments and accused him of political partisanship.

“It was, unfortunately, a bullet that hit my ear, and hit it hard. There was no glass, there was no shrapnel,” he said.

A New York Times investigation published on July 26 said “a detailed analysis of bullet trajectories, footage, photos and audio... strongly suggests Mr Trump was grazed by the first of eight bullets fired by the gunman”.

Trump’s campaign has not released any medical reports or statements from his current physician, instead quoting

Dr Jackson – a former White House physician who is a staunch political ally of the ex-president.

AFP

See more on