Tom Petty died from accidental overdose

Rocker Tom Petty was found unconscious at home on Oct 2 and died at a hospital later that night.
Rocker Tom Petty was found unconscious at home on Oct 2 and died at a hospital later that night.

LOS ANGELES • American rocker Tom Petty died in October due to "multisystem organ failure" brought on by an accidental overdose of seven medications, the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner's office said on Friday.

The coroner's office attributed his death at age 66 to a "mixed toxicity" of fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetyl fentanyl, and despropionyl fentanyl. The medical examiner's report lists the manner of death as "accidental".

The rocker's wife Dana and daughter Adria said the medical examiner told them he "passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications".

"Unfortunately Tom's body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip," they said in a statement on his band's Facebook page.

Petty, whose vibrant guitar riffs, distinctive vocals and slick song lyrics graced such hits as Refugee, Free Fallin' and American Girl, was found unconscious at his home in Malibu on Oct 2 and died at a hospital later that night.

Best known for his roots-infused rock music, he carved a career as a solo artist as well as with his band The Heartbreakers and as part of supergroup The Traveling Wilburys.

REUTERS, BLOOMBERG

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Sunday Times on January 21, 2018, with the headline 'Tom Petty died from accidental overdose'. Print Edition | Subscribe