Saudi top diplomat says kingdom ‘at vanguard’ of efforts to rebuild Syria

Sign up now: Get ST's newsletters delivered to your inbox

Syria's interim president, Mr Ahmed al-Sharaa (right) welcoming Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan to Damascus on May 31.

Syria's interim president, Mr Ahmed al-Sharaa (right) welcoming Saudi Arabia's Foreign Minister, Prince Faisal bin Farhan, to Damascus on May 31.

PHOTO: AFP

Follow topic:

DAMASCUS - Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan travelled to Damascus on May 31, where he said his country would be at the forefront of efforts to rebuild Syria after nearly 14 years of civil war.

Prince Faisal had landed in the Syrian capital earlier, alongside an economic delegation on a visit to discuss ways to support Syria’s war-ravaged economy, authorities said.

Saudi Arabia has been one of the most important regional supporters of Syria’s new authorities, who took over after

ousting longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad

in December.

“We affirm that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will remain at the vanguard of countries standing by Syria in its path towards reconstruction and economic recovery,” Prince Faisal said, in a joint press conference with his Syrian counterpart.

Saudi Arabia “will present joint financial support alongside Qatar to public sector workers” in Syria, he added, while pointing to interest in Syria from Saudi investors.

He said Saudi economic delegations would visit Damascus soon, noting that “work is under way to discuss investment support and economic and trade cooperation” between the two countries.

Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani, meanwhile, expressed his country’s thanks “for the role Saudi Arabia has played, particularly on the lifting of sanctions” by the United States.

The two countries “have entered a strong stage of joint investment and economic cooperation”, he said.

Mr Shaibani pointed to “strategic initiatives aiming to restore infrastructure, replenish agriculture... and create real job opportunities for Syrians”.

Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan (left) and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani delivering a press conference in Damascus on May 31.

PHOTO: REUTERS

Prince Faisal met Syrian interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa, and visited Damascus’ famous Umayyad Mosque alongside Mr Shaibani.

On a visit to Riyadh earlier this month, US President Donald Trump said he would

lift US sanctions

on Syria, a move that should help pave the way for economic recovery in the war-torn country.

In February, Mr Sharaa

visited Saudi Arabia

on his first trip abroad as president.

In April, Saudi Arabia and Qatar, another key backer of the new authorities, announced they would settle Syria’s debt to the World Bank totalling roughly US$15 million (S$19 million).

Damascus is hoping that the lifting of sanctions, particularly by the US, will enable support from the international community.

Years of war and sanctions have battered the country’s economy, infrastructure and industry.

A recent United Nations Development Programme report estimated Syria’s “lost GDP” during the 2011-2024 war to be around US$800 billion.

Prince Faisal first visited Syria’s new authorities in January. REUTERS

See more on