SINGAPORE - Singapore has condemned the explosions in Brussels on Tuesday (March 22).
"Singapore strongly condemns these appalling acts. Our thoughts are with the families of the victims," Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said in a letter to his Belgian counterpart Prime Minister Charles Michel.
"We stand in solidarity with Belgium in the fight against terror," he added.
In a statement earlier on Tuesday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it is shocked to learn of the attacks.
"We condemn these terrorist attacks which resulted in the loss of many innocent lives. We express our deepest condolences to the families of the victims, and wish the injured a speedy recovery," it said.
The Singapore Embassy in Brussels is closely monitoring the situation and contacting registered Singaporeans in the city to ascertain their safety, the MFA said, adding that thus far there are no reports of Singaporeans affected by the blasts.
The Embassy is also in close contact with the Belgian authorities, it said.
Singaporeans are advised to stay vigilant, take the necessary precautions, and follow the instructions of the local authorities, the statement by a MFA spokesperson added.
Singaporeans in Brussels and other parts of Belgium who require consular assistance should contact the Singapore Embassy at + 32 2 660 2979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, they can contact the 24-hour MFA Duty Office at +65 6379 8800 / 8855 or email@example.com.
A statement from the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) said Singapore was saddened at the loss of innocent lives in Tuesday's multiple bombings in Brussels, and in the recent attack in Turkey on March 19.
"Terrorist attacks took place in Brussels even though there was heightened security. Our security agencies continue to remain vigilant against security threats," the statement by an MHA spokesperson said.
Everyone can play a part by staying vigilant and reporting any suspicious persons or activities to the authorities promptly, the statement said.
Home Affairs Minister K Shanmugam commented on the blasts on his Facebook page.
"Terrorists are continuing their targeting of innocent people. This is an evil which has to be fought, and defeated," he wrote.
Three Israelis and one Iranian were killed when a bomber detonated his explosives at a busy Istanbul shopping and entertainment hub on Saturday (March 19).