British couple jailed over child's heroin death

LONDON (AFP) - A British court on Wednesday jailed the parents of a toddler who died from a heroin overdose last year.

It is not known how Daniel Jones, aged 23 months, ingested a tiny but lethal amount of drug last September but drug paraphernalia was found in the house shared by Simon Jones, 30, and Emma Bradburn, 34.

The couple admitted manslaughter and the judge at Wolverhampton Crown Court in central England sentenced Jones to six years and Bradburn to four years in prison.

"It is one thing to risk your own health but quite another matter entirely to risk your son's," judge Kathryn Thirlwall told them.

Jones accepted he had been using heroin and tested positive for the drug, although Bradburn did not.

A sample of Daniel's hair also revealed the presence of amphetamines, cocaine and cannabis but both parents maintained they never smoked heroin or cannabis in front of their son.

The court heard that Daniel slept in his parents' bed, where police found materials used in the administering of heroin.